On March 21st 2015, students from Quebec (Canada) launched a political strike against austerity measures and hydrocarbon extraction. Our social movement takes place in the context of generalized repression, where demonstrations are forbidden and brutally clamped down on through the use of various municipal bylaws. Thousands of people have thus been arrested in the last three years, receiving 640$ fines for the luckiest and criminal charges for the rest.
For weeks now we have been confronted with an even greater brutality, even inside the walls of our university. The movement as a whole has shown great courage, standing blow for blow against repression, but now we need your help.
The last days a sequence of events has weighed us down :
- -At the end of a March, nine students received a convocation from UQAM’s executive counsel. Without the possibility of any appeal, and bypassing normal procedures, these students are threatened with the university’s most severe sanction : their definitive expulsion. In some cases, the deeds they are accused of go back to winter 2013.
- -UQAM has ordered a court injunction forbidding us from preventing courses from being held, as well as ANY activity related to the strike.
- -On April 8th, after students had interrupted courses, UQAM’s administration called the police, who arrested 21 activists inside the university. They are now forbidden from approaching the university and face criminal charges.
In reaction to all this, since April 8th, general assemblies from various departments have decided to continue the general strike, adding these demands :
- To cancel the court injunction and the persecution of the social movement.
- To forbid police forces from the campus
- To abandon prosecution against the nine political evictions
We need your help!
This is a call for a worldwide week of solidarity actions from April 13th to 17th 2015. Our university, UQAM, cares much for its public image, so we invite you to take action, to the extent of your means and possibilities.
Whatever you plan to do, don’t hesitate to tell us your story, by writing us at the following address :email@example.com
Against repression, by all means necessary!
Students and student employees from UQAM.